Project: Construction of a large two storey extension and refurbishment works
Client: A Wotton Associates
Contract Value: £590,400
Chipping Sodbury is a market town in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire, founded in the 12th century by William Crassus. The villages of Old Sodbury and Little Sodbury are nearby. In the last decade the town has become part of a much larger built-up area due to the rapid expansion of nearby Yate. The history of the Baptist Church can be traced back to 1656, when there was a pastor of a group of Christian dissenters who formed one of the earliest Baptist churches. Until 1965 the church met in one of the older buildings, which dates to around 1700. It is located in Hounds Road and is now known as the Church Centre. The church services were then moved to what is now known as the Church Hall; this was erected in 1990 and is the building you can see from the High Street.
Helm were given the project of carrying out a part demolition of the existing link building and the re-construction of masonry and timber infill on strip foundations. A new entrance porch structure was created in structural steel, and glazed walling. Helm also carried out internal reconfigurations and refurbishments.
Helm began work in early August 2014 to complete a refurbishment that creates a new two-storey link between the church sanctuary to the rear and the church hall on Chipping Sodbury High Street. The new two-storey link connects three separate church buildings enabling people to walk right in from the High Street and go straight through to the Sanctuary.
We were able to continue full schedule of services and meetings while the builders got on with the work around us. We are very pleased with the results and the refurbishment has been very positively received by the community. Although we have had to operate within a much smaller floor space Helm have been really helpful keeping any disruption to the congregation to the absolute minimum.
Minister Paul Harding