Our staff are what make Helm special. We award jobs to the best, the brightest, and those with winning personalities.
We look for people who share our passion, are dynamic and ambitious, but also enjoy an informal, team working environment and can tell a decent joke.
If you’d like to join the Helm crew, send your CV along with a covering email to email@example.com
Working within the commercial team you will be responsible for project financial management, negotiating orders with sub-contractors, project valuations and client interaction. Typically working on projects with a value between £200k and £2million (dependant on experience), you should be able to demonstrate excellent financial project management skills, a strong commercial acumen, great customer service and communication skills and above all that you are a team player. Familiarity with Microsoft, project management and financial management software is a given.
This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic growing construction company whose focus is customer service and delivering quality projects on time and on budget. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Due to significant growth and increased demands within the business, we are looking to recruit an experienced Site Manager in the Bristol area to join our rapidly growing team. Capable of running projects between £1m-£5m, the ideal applicant will specialise in either the residential new build (2-40 units) or commercial areas (typically care homes, doctor’s surgeries, nurseries or offices).
Working within a 30 mile radius of Bristol and reporting into the Contracts Manager, you will be working as part of a wider team including close liaison with the project Quantity Surveyor, Buyer and our list of approved subcontractors.
The ultimate purpose of the Site Manager is to deliver the project to the satisfaction of the Client team, maintaining Helm’s good reputation and long term relationships, and endeavouring to make a profit.
The overall duties and expectations are as follows:
· To ensure the project is delivered to the Client in a safe and expedient manner, in compliance with the reasonable instructions received from the client team whilst fully protecting the interest of Helm.
· Ensure that all orders are placed and arranged for delivery in good time, chasing and reminding as necessary and checking the works are being constructed to meet the instructed requirements.
· Liaise with the Helm team to identify the support required for buying labour, plant and materials as necessary.
· Prepare written progress reports for weekly internal progress meetings plus external client/design meetings to suit the agreed site specific arrangements. Support in producing some of the reports will be provided by Helm office staff by arrangement.
· Maintain a detailed and accurate daily diary of events using the Helm form, including listing all additional works, delays, late information and issues affecting the works, and accurately recording the nature, extent and location of works undertaken every day.
· The Site Manager is SOLEY responsible for the safety of ALL personnel on site; ensuring all RAMS are agreed and signed with a paper copy on site before those works commence. Updates are provided as necessary to suit any changes in circumstances. BSG and Helm are always available to provide support and guidance whenever the Site Manager requests it.
· Manage the site personnel and those involved in the project to maintain good moral, team spirit and cooperation.
· Complete the works in the most economic manner possible, minimising waste and abortive costs, standing time etc whilst completing the works safely and in accordance with the project requirements.
We are looking to recruit a fully qualified Carpenter to join our growing team based in Bristol. The ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of carpentry including first fix, second fix and snagging and will also have experience working on a variety of different construction sites including commercial, residential and refurbishment projects. It is essential to have your own tools and transport as travelling between sites throughout the day is sometimes required.
Helm are looking for skilled Groundworker’s to work on a number of our sites throughout the Bristol and surrounding areas. Typical groundwork duties on site include laying kerbs and slabs, drainage, concreting and foundations. You will be working across a range of sites throughout Bristol which can vary from day to day or week to week, and so being prepared and able to travel is a must.
Helm are recruiting for a Contracts Manager with excellent people skills and extensive experience of managing projects within a commercial and residential environment. Reporting into the Construction Director, the successful candidate will also be responsible for overseeing and building relationships with the Site Managers and wider site team, including subcontractors, Clients and stakeholders.
Responsibilities of the Contracts manager include the financial monitoring and control of the
Contracts; ensuring Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality compliance is maintained and
Helm’s procedures and objectives are achieved.
Key responsibilities include:
· Plan projects and ensure they are programmed to a level of detail necessary for the site team to deliver the scheme without delays
· Ensure procurement and reconciliation of materials is carried out in accordance with company procedures to best value and to prevent delays
· Ensure site team compliance with Company commercial policies and procedures
· Attend tender handover meetings and deliver pre-start meetings to the site team
· Produce and analyse progress reports, updated costs in conjunction with Quantity Surveyors and forecasts
· Ensure correct commercial engagement of subcontractors
· Implement the risk management process, review risk register and check risk controls
· Review the CVRs monthly with the project teams, implementing necessary actions
· Complete and distribute the Contract Initiation/Completion form for each project
· Ensure weekly review of progress, budget resources and forward planning are carried out, and look ahead programmes are in place
· Chair and attend internal and external meetings and ensure the production of accuraterecords of any discussions and actions
· Ensure timely management of both temporary and permanent design to meet the requirements of each project
Health, safety and environmental
· By example, set the highest possible standards of leadership in promotion of HS&E procedures and best practice, ensuring compliance with company procedures
· Allocate HS&E responsibilities and duties for site personnel, check understanding and provide training as necessary
· Maintain and manage construction sites and subcontractors, ensuring all subcontractors
· Follow Helm’s procedures and processes
· Oversee and ensure that HSE-related documents are kept up to date and undertake senior manager site inspections, ensuring that audits and reports are produced, liaising with the necessary parties
· Liaise with third parties to ensure compliance with Planning Conditions, Building Regulations NRSWA and other required regulatory standards.
· Ensure that Inspection and Test Plans (ITPs0 are produced
· Ensure that the QA / H&S File is produced and maintained
· Establish and promote best practice
· Build and maintain relationships with both the client and external customers
· Chair and lead meetings with the customer and report on progress to date
· Ensure that works are carried out in a manner which minimises community impact
Key measures & targets:
· Adherence to all deadlines set and Business objectives
· Ensure final accounts are completed with the QS within three months of construction completion
· Monthly and weekly reporting timescales are met
· Deliver projects without safety incidents, within time and to budget
The successful candidate is likely to meet all of the following criteria:
· Extensive experience of managing projects within a Residential and commercial environment
· Good working knowledge of contract conditions, CDM regulations, design management, programme and risk management and cost control including forecasting, actual cost and value reporting
· Experience of Project management / Planning software MS Project / Project Commander / Crest
· Knowledge of all JCT contract’s
· Educated as a minimum to HNC/HND/Degree level (or equivalent)
· CSCS card
· Experience of Pre-Qualification and Tendering process for a number of multi-discipline projects
· Excellent people management skills with the ability to influence and mentor
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with both customers and all levels of staff
· Problem solving skills and analytical thinking
Due to recent expansion, an exciting and varied opportunity has arisen for a full-time office junior / apprentice / receptionist
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
· Answering telephones
· Updating company calendar
· Updating spreadsheets
· Company vehicle administration
· Greeting guests & making drinks
· Tidying the office
· Reviewing local planning applications and sending letters out introducing Helm to suitable schemes
· Writing out monthly cheques and enveloping
· Scanning and printing out documents
· Assisting with purchase ledger
· Managing & controlling stock
The successful applicant must be able to work under their own initiative and supervision, but full training will be provided.
A positive, outgoing personality is best suited to the role.
Apply by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01454 634 020 for an informal chat.
Experience of working within an office environment would be beneficial
Own transport is essential due to office location
An interest within construction would also be beneficial.
Salary & hours negotiable depending on experience.
We like to think of ourselves as people-centred. We recognise every member of our team for their individual contributions and we form relationships with clients based on mutual respect and courtesy. The solutions we deliver are the sum of our collective talents. Together we'll always find a way.
As a great place to work and company to work with, we are motivated to be the best we can be. We inspire the next generation of building professionals with a programme of apprenticeships and we encourage the construction industry to reach higher standards of quality and innovation. We make things happen.
One of our priorities is keeping you, the client, in touch with everything we’re doing. From the initial brief, through all stages of construction, we operate transparently and like to make the most of technology that helps us do this.
Each of our sites has Wi-Fi and coupled with cameras, video conferencing and photo logging means you'll always be in the picture. We use smartphones for digital clocking in, which includes a geolocation option. You, the client, can see who has been on site and what they’ve done that day. A regular report brings all this information together for you within the context of weather information and a progress dashboard. It also helps us keep work on schedule and acts as a roll call to ensure staff safety.
A quality product is a given, so we're not going to talk endlessly about the quality of our building work. However, our service brings quality to every part of our journey with us in important, simple and rewarding ways. What we do, we do well.
We don't just pay lip service to integrity. We celebrate colleagues who have moral courage and reward hard decisions. We value honest, open relationships with each other and our clients. We do the right thing.
We're fiercely proud of our brand because we're proud of each other. The positive, energising and optimistic environment we work in delights staff and clients alike. We harness vision and energy.
Everyone in our team takes responsibility for upholding our values and for keeping each other, clients and communities safe. We prioritise the right training, knowledge and tools and take ownership of our work as a team. We step up and take the wheel.
We all have the support and opportunity to drive the future of our organisation. Together we demonstrate to others excellence in the construction industry. We have the courage to shape a better future.