Project: Development of nine new apartments
Client: Westbury Guild
Contract Value: £765,000
Cotham is an affluent, leafy inner suburb of Bristol, England, situated between Clifton and St Pauls, and similar in character to Redland. It is a cosmopolitan residential area with large old houses, many of which are used as hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation, or divided into flats, and a selection of small independent shops. It also contains the comprehensive Cotham School (formerly Cotham Grammar School). The top of Saint Michael's Hill in Cotham was one of the historical city limits of Bristol, and the traditional location for hangings. Cotham Church was built in 1842–43 by William Butterfield in a Gothic Revival style, as Highbury Congregational Chapel. It was Butterfield's first commission, obtained through his family's connection with William Day Wills of the tobacco firm W. D. & H. O. Wills. The apse, tower, south transept and school were added in 1863 by Edward William Godwin. Since 1975 it has been an Anglican church. Helm were given the project of the development of nine new apartments in Cotham. The apartments included gardens at the rear and a landscaped communal garden.
Helm undertook ground works which included the careful removal of a stone boundary wall on the boundary of Prospect Avenue to be re-established after the build. Horfield Road presented a multitude of obstacles which had to be overcome from difficulties with access to a particularly narrow frontage on to a busy route. Helm needed to use smaller wagons delivering just a few pallets of blocks or bricks on a day by day basis, rather than having all the materials on site and ready to use.
Each of the apartments featured Bellisimo door entry systems, dual frame windows and automatic roof opening vents. The kitchens feature in Greenwich Shaker light oak with granite work surfaces and the apartments feature block wood flooring and are heated throughout with Dimplex PLX panel convector heaters. The gardens at the rear of the property back onto a landscaped communal garden. This project was delivered to the client towards the beginning of March 2015 fully decorated throughout.